There have been several recent incidents where our customers have been approached by people pretending to be from Alabama Power.
What makes this case a little different is that the targets are not just residential customers, but includes local businesses. The customers are called and told they have a short deadline to make a payment. The scammer is asking them to go to a local retailer (like a Wal-Mart, CVS or Walgreens) to purchase a money pack for the given amount. They are then instructed to call another number to share the account number on that prepaid card. In some cases, they get an answering machine that says “This is Alabama Power,” and asks the customer to leave the information on a recording.
Avoid being scammed
Alabama Power wants our customers to remember the following:
- We will never come to your door and demand an immediate payment.
- We will never ask you over the phone for bank information or a credit card number.
- Any Alabama Power employee who comes to your door for any reason will have company identification that he or she will gladly show you. If you have any questions about whether a person actually works for Alabama Power, call Alabama Power at 1-800-245-2244 and do not let him or her inside your home.
- Scammers sometimes claim they represent a public agency or government office offering grants that can pay your Alabama Power or other utility bill. Never provide anyone making this claim your credit card information, your Alabama Power Company bill information or account number, or any personal banking information. If someone makes this claim, call Alabama Power or your local police department to report it.
- If you ever have any question about the status of your Alabama Power account, do not hesitate to call us. You can reach Alabama Power Customer Service day or night, seven days a week, at 1-800-245-2244.
News media requiring additional information can call the Media Hotline at 205-257-4155.
All tracks are .mp3
(right-click and Save to your computer)
- Scam Alert (full track) (:39)
- Scam Alert - why this is different (:08)
- Scam Alert - using untraceable cards (:17)
- Scam Alert - Call us to be sure (:10)
All tracks with Alabama Power spokesman Ike Pigott (PIG'-utt)